Sunday, May 18, 2008

Big Brook NJ - Fossil Hunting

This post is a bit late but better than never. I went to Big Brook the first opportunity I could in February once the weather cleared a little. I think it hit 50 degrees that day. Either way, I stayed out of the water as much as possible. It was a quick trip due to the cold water temps but I managed to pull some nice shark teeth, ray plates and some belemnites. The cool find for the day was a perfect Ostera Mesenterica. It was my first ever and on the the second complete one I've seen from this stream.

Last year I hit the stream about 4 or five times and came up with many nice teeth and belemnites, some crab claws, and numerous shell and gastropod impressions. I have also found some bone fragments, ray crusher teeth and barbs, drum teeth, shark coprolite, and one cool saw fish rostrum.

A friend and her brother found a very large Enchodus in great shape at 1 7/8 inches.

This year my goal is a Mososaur Tooth (same goal as last years) and maybe a Croc too.

Overall: B+ (You always find something there)
Family Fun: A (Water is only 12 inches deep)
Variety: A (I like to take a few hours here and relax)
Difficulty: B (Steep hill from parking area then it's flat stream)
Cost: A+ Free!
Age: Cretaceous (About 80 MYA)
Location: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=&daddr=40.32023,-74.22315&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=40.320238,-74.223177&sspn=0.002908,0.007145&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=18
Equipment: A (Hand Trowel and Screen)

No comments: